Air National Guard Units (Title 32/Title 5) AIRCRAFT ENGINE MECHANIC in Montgomery, Alabama
THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a AIRCRAFT ENGINE MECHANIC, Position Description Number D1635 and is part of the AL 187TH Fighter Wing, National Guard.
This position is located in an Air National Guard Aviation Wing, Maintenance Group, Maintenance Squadron, Propulsion Element, (Jet Engine Intermediate Maintenance, (JEIM) and the Hush House). The primary purpose of this position is to certify acceptable performance, test, repair, trouble-shoot, operationally check and modify aircraft turbine and auxiliary power units, and associated propulsion system components.
EXCEPTED POSITION: Alabama Air National Guard membership required. POSITION STATUS: NON-MERIT LOCATION: 187TH FW, MONTGOMERY, AL SELECTING OFFICIAL: SMSgt L SMITH
Learn more about this agency
AREA OF CONSIDERATION FOR ALABAMA AIR NATIONAL GUARD POSITION: AREA 1: All permanent Alabama Air National Guard civilian excepted technicians currently employed. AREA 2: All drill status/M-day personnel in the Alabama Air National Guard. AREA 3: All U.S. citizens or individuals eligible for membership in the Alabama Air National Guard.
- Troubleshoots malfunctioning engines and interrelated propulsion system components, determines degree of disassembly or certification required, repairs or replaces defective components, diagnostic computers and associated hardware. Analyzes malfunctions using schematic and wiring diagrams, blueprints, manufacturer's specifications, computer diagnostics data, inspection findings, trending data and aircrew debriefs. Performs engine run operation on installed and uninstalled engines to troubleshoot malfunctions or verify findings. Removes and installs engines and auxiliary power units. Operates, Automated Ground Test Systems (AGETS), trouble-shoots and repairs aircraft jet engines.
- Troubleshoots, modifies, repairs, and performs sequential disassembly and assembly of gearboxes and auxiliary power units. Performs evaluations that must be accomplished at critical points in the repair/build-up process using a variety of quality characteristics, consisting of complete systems or components and assemblies that undergo many steps in a repair process and have highly critical tolerances. Performs test cell operation of engine and aircraft run up, analyzes operating parameters, makes final adjustments and verifies that engine is operating within acceptable parameters for safe operation in the aircraft.
- Performs scheduled and special evaluations on installed engines, auxiliary power units, and associated airframe-mounted systems. Interprets Engine Management trend data and investigates trend anomalies to eliminate catastrophic engine failure or damage by the prediction and detection of adverse trends towards known failure modes before they occur.
- Performs command directed and locally established in-progress inspections (IPI) (certifying acceptable performance of all conventional or modified aircraft engines prior to their being installed in the aircraft or placed in inventory) of propulsion system components and associated equipment to determine adequacy of workmanship, materials and maintenance.
- Performs other duties as assigned. PLEASE SEE HRO FOR COMPLETE POSITION DESCRIPTION.
- #### Job family (Series)
8602 Aircraft Engine Mechanic
Conditions of Employment
- NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
- This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement.
- Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
- Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
- Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
MILITARY REQUIREMENTS: Compatible military grade and assignment required prior to the effective date of placement. This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Alabama Air National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Alabama Air National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact an Alabama Air National Guard recruiter at 800-864-6264 prior to applying for this position. Military Requirements:Military skill set is determined by AFSC requirements. Upon selection, individuals must be assigned to a compatible military AFSC in accordance with statutes and National Guard Bureau regulations and must obtain/maintain all requirements of the AFSC. Specific requirements are found in: references listed below, NGB Compatibility tables and your local Personnel section. Maximum Military Rank: SSgt Compatible Military Assignments: AFSC: 2A6X1 *Other Requirements: For positions requiring the operation of motor vehicles, candidates must have a valid state driver's license.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Each applicant must fully substantiate (in his/her own words) that he/she meets the requirements of the Specialized Experience listed below: Otherwise, the applicant will be considered unqualified for this position.* DO NOT COPY THE VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT OR THE POSITION DESCRIPTION.*
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Experience or training that has provided the ability to perform assembly and disassembly operations and make prescribed modifications to aircraft engines, engine assemblies, and accessories in accordance with technical specifications, procedures and requirements. Experience using hand and power tools common to the trade.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:Must possess at least 18 months experience in each of the following tasks: Experience or training performing standard, routine assembly and disassembly operations and making prescribed modifications to aircraft engines, engine assemblies, and accessories. Experience or training performing maintenance overhaul, troubleshooting, testing, and repair of aircraft engines, engine components, and power trains for fixed and/or rotary wing aircraft. Experience determining maintenance needed from work orders, inspection reports, historical record, and by own diagnosis.
THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION CONSIDERATION FOR WAGE GRADE POSITIONS.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (including Month and Year, e.g., 02/2017, Feb 2017, etc.) of employment and duties performed.
Other supporting documents: SF 50s and DD 214s are recommended, but not required.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application/Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. To view the Occupational Questionnaire, click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10188533
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documentsto be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
AL 187TH Fighter Wing 5187 Selma Hwy Montgomery, AL US
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/496700500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 04/12/2018 to 05/11/2018
Salary: $26.38 to $30.76 per hour
Pay scale & grade: WG 10
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent - Non-Merit